C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 12:49:18 -0700
Ken,

Actually I'm not as surprised as you might think.  By legalizing drugs, and taxing them heavily, a portion of the budget deficit could be addressed.  Also, by treating drug abuse problems as a medical or psychological issue, a large portion of the prison population would go away, and IMHO, prisons often serve as training centers for criminal behavior.  I don't have figures on this, but it seems like it would be a lot less expensive to treat drug users (offenders?) in the community rather than in the penal system.

There was a guy who was arrested in the DC area in the late summer or early fall for possession of marijuana and was sentenced to ten days in jail because he couldn't afford to pay the fine, and also because there was a handgun in the vehicle.  The guy was like a C-3 or C-4 quadriplegic, so it wasn't like he was going to shoot anyone.  The DC jail system wasn't able to adequately address his medical needs (respirator at night, need for suctioning), so the guy died while he was in custody.

This is a link to the article in New Mobility Magazine where I read about it.

http://www.newmobility.com/review_article.cfm?id=939&action=browse

We agree on two things in one day?!!  I'm a radical/liberal by Wyoming standards, but in California, I'd be considered "another damned redneck."

Kendall

I believe in an open mind, but not so open that your brains fall out.
-Arthur Hays Sulzberger