C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 11:54:34 EDT
The origins of the many tenets put forth in the old testament were for the
social good
(survival). For example, the ban on eating pork was to prevent tricchinosis.
The strict sexual sanctions were for population control and other purposes.
People forget how many times the Bible has been translated from one language to
another. Just look at the differences in the "modern" Bibles and the King
James version, and that was just from an older version of one language to the
modern version. These translation did not always "capture the meaning". The
fundementalists of all religions believe in the literal, absolute meaning of their
text, the Bible, the Koran, etc.  Many people have been killed, or murdered, in
the pursuit of the literal interpretations of such works. When you discuss
religion, you get into a semantic quagmire based on different values.

Bobby