C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Matt Conaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 15:15:58 -0500
Folks,

These conversations have gone on long enough about drugs.  It is time I
said something.

What is it about drugs as a first resort that seems so appealing?  Has the
medical profession really brainwashed the disability community so much
that the "need" to be medicated is ingrained? It sure appears that way.

Yes, I am a Chiropractic radical!  I was "converted" during my first term
at Georgia Tech some 15 years ago.  I don't even take aspirin anymore.
EVERYBODY, especially us CP folks, should get adjusted regularly. HOWEVER,
Chiropractic is NOT a panacea or a cure for anything.  It simply allows
the body to function better.  My spasticity markedly decreases when I get
adjusted.....with NO side effects!  :-)

(Of course, sex REALLY helps with the spasticity, too.  Ahem!)

Am I totally against drugs and surgery?  Absolutely NOT!  I myself would
give anything to be a surgeon if I could just use my hands.  But, what I
am against is the knee-jerk reaction to medicating disability as a first
resort.  Medication should be a LAST RESORT.  I probably will have to
start taking pain meds at some point because of my chronic pain issues
which have started in the past few years.  But, at 33, I am going to do
everything I can to delay the need for prescription pills.  When I am in
pain now, I have found that a few beers do a nice job at analgesia.

Well, I'll get off my pulpit now.  My point is that there ARE alternatives
to medication.  If people are happy being medicated at the will of the
medical priesthood, or if they absolutely need to be on meds, so be it.
All I can do is to offer information.

In conscience,

Matt Conaway