C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 05:47:02 EST
In a message dated 02/15/2000 11:22:01 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< So, I decided to take a stand and I had the store page the person.
Wouldn't
 you know it was my luck that the person was an elderly women with an oxygen
 tank.  Boy, did I feel like a jerk!

I don't think you were a jerk Elaine.  She still wasn't supposed to be parked
in the striped area.  You did the right thing.  She probably didn't stop to
think that she might be compromising someone else's safety by doing that.

I've seen a number of elderly people parking like that, and it really annoys
me.  Their fine all their lives until that one day when they break their hip,
and then they need to park close to stores after that.  They don't get
involved in the disability community, and don't realize what the striped area
is for.  I really blame the Divisions of Motor Vehicles for not advertising
this more, even though people should know that they aren't supposed to park
in any stripped area, or outside of specifically marked parking spaces.

I wonder how many elderly people who need H/C parking now harshly judged
disabled people for protesting to get the ADA passed?  Protesters aren't
always highly thought of in general, and I just wonder if some of these
elderly folks ever stop to think just how they came to have the good fortune
of having H/C parking now?

Just thinking off the top of my head.  I don't feel animosity toward elderly
people at all.  I have just seen them commit a noticeable number of H/C
parking abuses, and it bothers me because they are supposed to be our
respected elders -- leaders of our society in their own right.  They get
abused aplenty too, but there are rules we all have to follow, and we can't
ignore them.  I think it's okay to expect our senior citizens to lead by
example.