C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:31:38 -0400
Never.  Why should they?  After all, kids are born every day with CP.  As
callous as this may sound, and it's certainly not meant callously, pediatric
medicine has a much higher emotional factor than adult or even more so,
geriatric, medicine.  Medical practice and research is market-driven, and
that emotional factor is a big driver in the medical services market.  Of
course, this is nothing new to most folks on this list.  Unfortunately, we
don't have a "Christopher Reeves" to present our case to the AMA, Congress,
etc.  I don't recall the exact stats, but I do know that funding for spinal
cord injury research skyrocketed after Mr. Reeves started his
much-publicized campaign before Congress and other "mover/shaker" groups.
The guy couldn't have given a rat's arse about spinal injury before his
accident.  Now, of course, he regards it as the most important issue facing
mankind, and it's his firm belief that mankind should regard it as same.

Ours is a broken world and human-kind, no matter how glorious it regards
itself, will never be able to make enough glue to repair the ever-cracking
orb.

Color me jade... ;-)

Kyle