C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jul 2008 19:30:20 -0400
when I'm upset, I can't stand up.  I end up stiff and - it's not an
ordinary kind of muscle spasms.  my arms get weak and my back has
spasms and my legs get rigid.  then I rest and it goes away.

I have found that doctors tend to say 'anxiety' but I've had talk
therapy that is very helpful in managing this.  b/c it's not like the
anxiety that "regular" people get.  drugs don't touch it.

I was also told CP/other brain symptoms can look like bipolar disorder.
  I have mood issues, but.  the need to keep going with muscle weakness
and stiffness can cause a washed-out feeling and mood instability.
also brain injury can cause mood instability.

I'm on lithium and going to therapy.  that helps a lot and I feel much
better.  I thought I'd mention this b/c some of the psychotropic drugs
are very strong and/or addicting, and they don't work that well anyway,
for this stuff.  this kind of 'wobble' or 'shakiness' in mood.  which
can look like mania or depression but it isn't.

take care,

MK