C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:44:44 EDT
On this day it marks my 12th year being independent from my parents.  At that
time I had no choice.  I had to get out on my own.  My home life was getting
too much to bear.  My first year was depressing at first because of having to
deal with my mom's feelings about me moving out but she finally came around
to accepting the idea that I was capable of making it on my own.  I had my
girlfriend move in and Patricia was born then everything went downhill from
there with my first roommate.  I'm never going to regret my actions.  What I
did I did in order to have a life I could live with.  Now I have a second
child and I have gone from being on SSI when Patricia was born to working
close to full time hours.

When I first moved out I was unable to qualify for assistance from disability
programs.  I was considered too high-functioning to qualify.  and from BVR
who I am thankful for their assistance for me to get a degree in computer
programming.   I was told that I no longer qualify due to my disability is
not severe enough for their services.  it took me years to find a good job.
the job I have is very good and there is no way I'm going to blow this job.

Freedom!  We're gonna ring the bell, freedom to rock, freedom to talk
Freedom!  Raise your fist and yell,  freedom to rock, freedom to talk
Freedom-ring!

Alice Cooper "Freedom"  Raise Your Fist and Yell