C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 10:43:05 -0500
Kathy,

           So what's your point?

> I would like to turn the focus on this message on adults. . .  I ran in to
> two adults that told me everyday for fifteen years that I could walk and
get
> over Cerebral Palsy later in my life.  (They are sisters.) They claimed
they
> loved me.

           They didn't really love you becasue they where wrong - and if
they had truly loved you they would have been perfect and known it all?

            You may want to learn to live with idea that regardless of  much
we love someone - it still doesn't make us perfect nor privledged to know it
all and never make mistakes. One assumes you love people - and you are not
perfect - and you expect everyone to give you the leeway to not be perfect
and make mistakes and still love you. Its a reciprocal deally.

           It would be really cool if the world where full of really perfect
people and no one ever made a mistake - was at a loss for how to act or what
to say - regardless of the situation. However its not, and we are presented
with the first hand oppurtunity of seeing this in action and we can either
be compassionate and gently education or we can de defensive and nasty  and
depends on how we feel about the topic, our state of mind at the moment ,
whether we are having a good day - etc. A small percentage of the population
is disabled - how you react to people - depends on how they will view
disabilities and disabled people. You may want to make it a pleasant
experience - they may be a voter and you may want them on your said one
day!! What I have found is - life reflects back my attitude. I frown - they
frown - I smile - they smile. We tend to forget we creat our realities
dependent on our attitudes and what we think. That why placed in identical
situations one person breezes thru with smiles and another is bitch of the
century. It ain't the world - its us!!

                                   Trisha