C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kimberlee Ames <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 13:05:23 EST
Dear Pam,

I was very interested in your response to Kathy Jo's request, and I hope you
don't mind me asking, but I would really like to know who helped you with
learning how to do the things that you are able to do.  Did a therapist teach
you, or your parents?  I know this sounds like an odd question, but I have a
4 year old, and he has severe spastic quad CP/dystonia, and I would like to
help him be as functional as possible.  He cannot currently feed himself,
transfer himself, etc.  The school therapists don't seem that interested in
teaching him self-help skills, and I was wondering if I should try and locate
an outside therapist who can start working with him on that.  He is very
motivated, just limited physically.  We are currently working on finding ways
for him to communicate with assistive technology also.  Thanks for your help.

Kimberlee, mom to Stefan (4) and Alex (9)