C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 13:59:45 EST
I too, believe that it needs to be tought when they(kids) are young.  I had
an Aunt that had MD and was in a wheel chair, so I never gave it a thought to
treat people with a disability diffrently.  However, I recently had my half
sister( not brought up in same family) watch my 2 girls, and her daughter who
is a little over 1 1/2 (3 months younger then Lizzy Jo).  When I went to pick
up the girls, my sister said," I really felt bad for Lizzy, she was sitting
on the couch watching Madison run around dancing and being a goofball.  All
Lizzy could do was sit there and laugh."  I told her that was the differences
in our lives, that she pitied my daughter and that I was just grateful that
she could sit up on the couch.  To that she replied" Do you think Lizzy gets
upset that she can't do some of the stuff that Madison does?"  I said maybe,
but most likely, she had fun watching Madison be goofy, and since she doesn't
know life any other way, she just figures that's the way it is.  I do worry
that when she gets into school, the other kids will take that wonderful
spirit and crush it and make her worry that she is different.  But I can not
protect her, her whole life, so I just enjoy her for who she is now.
This is not the 1st time I relized my sister and I see things very different.
 She's always making comments, like "Did you see that girls nose? It was
huge."  Most of the time I have no idea what she is talking about, because I
don't see people that way.  I feel this is due to being raised being able to
talk to people about thier disabilities, which enabled me to see people in a
different way then perhaps most.
Sorry for being so long- winded.  Just wanted to let everyone know that I see
everything different then most people, or a better way, "my 2 cents worth"
hee hee
Cindy Bushnell and Lizzy Jo