C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 17 Aug 2009 19:08:06 +0000
Deri, Here's another article:

http://tinyurl.com/oxynuo

 From the picture of Ms. Dean and the tone of her comments and the fact she
filed suit, I don't think she asked to wear the sweater. I think, as the
article states, she was _instructed_ to wear the sweater by one employee
(her trainer),

"she was told during employee training to buy a plain white cardigan to
wear along with her uniform of jeans and a white polo shirt, in order to
cover up the join between her prosthetic arm and the partial upper arm with
which she was born."

and then when challenged by others (including her manager), she may have
used the terms "granted special permission" to wear the sweater" to
describe her trainer's instruction. She describes herself in the
article "as quite a confident girl."

here's the text cut from the article link I sent.

Riam Dean, 22, has sued retailer Abercrombie & Fitch for over $40,000 in
damages. The former clerk says A & F discriminated against her because she
wears a prosthetic arm due to congenital limb deficiency. Dean, a law
student, says she was told that she'd violated the company's "Look Policy"
and was forced to work in a back stockroom where customers could not see
her. Riam was originally hired to work on the sales floor in the trendy
retailer's flagship London store.

Ms. Dean says she was told during employee training to buy a plain white
cardigan to wear along with her uniform of jeans and a white polo shirt, in
order to cover up the join between her prosthetic arm and the partial upper
arm with which she was born. The company handbook states that employees may
substitute their own clothes for a uniform as long as the clothing
is "Abercrombie style." The look policy also requires "clean and natural"
hair as well as fingernails worn one quarter-inch past the end of the
finger.

Dean, as instructed, wore a white cardigan while working on the sales
floor. She says that a member of the store's "visual team" then demanded
she remove the cardigan. Ms. Dean explained that she'd been given special
permission to wear it due to her prosthesis.

Then, recalls Riam, "A few minutes later, my manager came over to me and
said: 'I can't have you on the shop floor as you are breaking the Look
Policy. Go to the stockroom immediately and I'll get someone to replace
you.' I pride myself on being quite a confident girl but I had never
experienced prejudice like that before, and it made me feel utterly
worthless. Afterwards, I telephoned the company's head office where a
member of staff asked whether I was willing to work in the stockroom until
the winter uniform arrived.That was the final straw. I just couldn't go
back."

This isn't the first time Abercrombie and Fitch has been sued in regard to
its Look Policy. In 2004, the retailer settled a lawsuit and paid over $40
million to plaintiffs who claimed A & F discriminated against Hispanic,
black, and Asian employees. At that time, the company agreed to recruit
more diverse employees and add racial diversity to its catalogs and
marketing materials. Abercrombie and Fitch has also been criticized for
sending recruiters to college campuses to hire attractive members of
predominantly white sororities and fraternities.

What do you think? Is Abercrombie and Fitch going overboard with company
policies that force a young woman with a prosthetic arm to be hidden away
from customers? Or is the company merely exercising its right to present
its brand in the manner that it sees fit: Clothing worn by young,
attractive, able-bodied, and mostly Caucasian men and women?

Filed under: discrimination, amputee, disabilism, employment, lawsuits,
congenital limb deficiency, riam dean, abercrombie and fitch, amputation,
prosthesis