C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 2000 12:02:26 -0400

> >Yvonne,
> >
> >Did Anthony have SPECT-scans before HBOT and again after HBOT?
> >
> >I have never claimed that HBOT is a claim for cp, only that it is a
proven =
> >treatment verified by SPECT-scan imaging.

But DO SPECT scans rally verify the treatment of HBOT. I think one of the
things that would be put to rest in the HBOT discussion is which way
verifies the treatment. I would compare the before and after SPECT scans
with a real HBO session with pressurized 02, a mock hbo session with just 02
( hope that makes sense), just regular cannula 02, after an hour of just
regular PT/OT, and maybe something so unrealated as an hour of listening to
Mozart music.
It could be the SPECT is just a money maker and not a really reliable test
of effectiveness.
My true test would be a verified impartial observer who measures change in
range of motion, vocialization, new skills learned etc ( or what ever target
area you want tested). This would also show that maybe HBO isn't that good
for say speech but is good to improve sleep patterns or digestion.
Joanne