C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jason Kruse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 08:40:41 -0600
My daughter Lauren, who will be 3 in June and has mild left CP with
language/communication delay, is what I would call very fussy or at least when
she is fussy it is extremely annoying to my wife and I. I don't know how to
describe it but she speaks in the language of fuss.  It is basically a wining
that she does. When we get dressed in the morning she wines and squirms, she
wines until food is right in front of her face, she wines when we go out to eat,
if she does seem to get something she want right then and now she wines.  Its
the sound that bugs me and and since she is not communicatin well she uses this
wine as for of communication.  What she can communicate is I want some, up, yumm
yumm and we respond accordingly but the fussy/wine is not getting better.  I
have recently resulted in YELLING NO or STOP and then following that with an
explanation of how she shouldn't wine and that it really bothers us and that she
should tell us what she wants (even though she may not be able:-) If that doesnt
work I will tap her under her chin (not hard but enough to get her attention). I
honestly do try to explain that yelling is not right and even apologize for
yelling my self but Im not getting real good responses either way (better with
the more agressive approach) but I obviously fear the reprocussions of
that....Any similar experiences or advice. We feel that we have tried to
anticipate her needs but I just feel that it is behavior that she is
adopting..HELP please

Jason Kruse