C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth H Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:13:50 -0500
Hi Jessica,
We are glad you found us.  I know with a child at 4 months of age things are
coming at you quick.  You should be receiving services through the Early
Steps or birth to three program in your state, this is called Part C and
mainly deals with developmental issues.  If you have insurance or Medicaid,
you can get more services in most states.  At 4 months having too many
providers can be confusing you should have one main provider who can help
you translate what the others are telling you.  Also, at this there is a lot
of overlap in what an occupational therapist (OT), a physical therapist
(PT), and a Speech-language pathologist (SLP) are doing, even if you have a
teacher or home early interventionist or vision teacher coming out.  You
want someone with experience as your little one is complicated.
You are probably going through a lot of medical testing with big nasty
sounding words.  www.nih.gov/medlineplus is a nice easy to read site but,
for goodness sake, talk with your service coordinator with your concerns for
your baby boy (what is his name?).  You should be getting info regarding
social security and Medicaid programs in your state, also your birth to
three program can hook you up with other parents in your area.  They are
always the best for finding good doctors and other services and providers in
your area.
University of Michigan has a well regarding medical center, I know I'm
impressed with the quality of OT research being done there.
Get a good neurologist, don't like the one you have?  Find another one, they
should know about seizues and their many, many causes, cerebral palsy and
it's complications.

Beth t. the OT