C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2000 10:38:15 -0500
Regarding Western civilization, I think it was Freud or someone who pointed
out the schizoid origin of our sexual mores. (Hold on, I am getting to the
origin of disability discrimination.)

        Our mores derive prinicipally from the Greek, Roman and Hebrew
civliaztions. The Greeks and Romans were warlock with no shortage of food,
Therefore they promoted procreation and sex to enlarge their cennsus and
fighting forces. Thus, they were quite liberal(loose?) in their sexual
behavior.
The Hebrews on the other hand, lived in an area which could not support a large
population. They developed very rigid and conservative regulation of sexual
behavior in order to control overpopulation. The fact is that all these
civilizations valued physical prowess for survival and expansion(in the case
of Greeks and Romans). Disability was an abomination to such societies.
Disabled
infants were scarified in a Fountain in The Temple of Mercy in Rome(or
maybe Sparta). I often wondered what were the mores in other societies such
as oriental civilizations. Probably not too different.

Bobby