C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:17:42 EDT
I think - or instead of saying anything about what other people on the list
might feel, I'll just speak for myself.

I've had people feel sorry for me and assume I have a poor quality of life
simply because I walk differently.
A new neighbor of mine was really nice and I was happy to have a  friend -
but it turns out he just felt sorry for me.  After having enough  of that type
thing happen, it's very easy to get defensive when I hear anything  about
"quality of life."  It becomes an automatic reaction that can cloud  other ideas.
It just gets old having to defend your own quality of  life.

Your situation is different than mine.  As a parent, you're afraid for  your
child.  Also, I know her care is hard - just physically, caring for  someone
with a lot of needs is draining.  I know because I used to work  with an adult
who needed total physical care.  The stress of it was hard  for me and for
someone who has total responsibility....I can't imagine.   So, I think your
questions and thoughts are natural for someone in your  position.  It doesn't mean
you love your daughter less or even that you  question it all the time.  Maybe
you just have moments of  frustration.

May I ask what state you are in?