C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 19:22:41 -0400
Not knowing you personally Matt, I can only give you some general directions
that work for children and may work for you.  You might want to invest in
the book "The Out of Sync Child".  Ok, this book is set up for parents to
understand their children but, they haven't come up with a good book for
adults.  It's written for a mom for other parents so, the language is basic,
easy to understand and thorough.  It's a good place to start to understand
sensory processing and how it relates to sensory integration.  Next, if
you're really into it, there are works by Ayres, Mailloux, Hanschu's ready
approach, etc.  Many of these might not be quite what you want.

Generally, speaking with the younger crowd we set them up with a sensory
diet of activities they can do through out the day based on development,
needs, and interests.  You may not be able to totally integrate the Moro
reflex and during times of stress and fatigue your body may still respond in
the hyper- or hypo- responsive ways.
I'm sorry I'm very general in my suggestions as without knowing more about
you I feel any suggestions I give you would not be appropriate for your
situation.  But, I find from talking to other people and for myself
personally, any type of body work that works on stretching and breathing and
overall body awareness works on overall reducing stress levels in the body,
increasing spatial awareness, decreasing defensive reactions and overall
increasing sense of well-being.

Beth the OT

email address: [log in to unmask]