C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:30:08 -0500
Greetings All,

            I had a kinda neat experience last night. It was parent
orientation for rising 9th grade  parents - for the kids at Amber's school
yesterday. Altho, I am still grappling with idea Amber is being High School
in the Fall ( gee, wasn't she just born?) time and events march on - and I
found myself sitting in the auditorium at the High School last night, with a
batch of other parents. They had put together a lovely slide show - but what
I found comforting - where facts that where presented - we all inundated
with how lousy public school is, and if we really want our kids to have an
education - send them to private school ( right - like we all have the bucks
for that!!).

            I have always been happy with Fairfax County School System -
they rank 10th or 12th in the country. I have always found them ready to be
helpful with Amber's special needs stuff - in fact I think she may find them
a more helpful than she wants!! LOL  Fairfax County School System has 19,000
special needs kids. That's bigger than towns!! The Principal - went thru the
presentation - explained about their honors classes - and how they are open
to all stuidents who are willing to put forth the effort - up until now - if
you wanted to take GT classes you had to be tested and placed. Amber is of
course in the center based program and has been for a number years - some of
her friends where in the pull classes at that their schools - now they have
removed the IQ qualification and all the kids can try. I think this is
wonderful!!  They also talked about their AP classes - which if the child
passes the test - the classes count for college credits  - Wow!! Ideally a
motivated kid can finish the first year of college in high school.  What was
also neat - West Potomac was ranked as number 43 out of the top 100 high's
schools in the country and number 7 out if 129 local area high schools. I am
very pleased that by virtue of buying that house - I inadventantly put my
kid in a good school. Towards the end - and perhaps indeed the most
inpressive thing - was they had a lady get who represented a support group
at the school for special needs kids and parents. Later when the lady got up
and talked about the registration process and other items - She said - to
please photo-copy your child IEP - and send a copy in for each of the
teachers - they wanted to be sure each child recieves the help they need and
are placed in correct classes. Later, I was impressed by the variety of
levels at which they offered classes - they actaully have LD classes,
regular classes and honors classes in such critical areas as math.

      So this week we pick Amber's classes for next year.  She has 5 things
she has to take ( English, Math, Science, History and PE) and two electives.
She wants German and Home EC. I had to laugh - she has already started
German gammer - and at bed time is receiting the rules. I am suppling the
words that illustrate the rule.

     Today is her IEP at 11am  and this year she will be there and have
input!! She has already spoken with the PDI teacher on what she feels will
help her!!  So I am hoping all goes well.

                                           Brightest Blessings
                                                Trisha