C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:36:54 -0500
I take opiates for pain.  I've been taking them, in a steadily increasing
dosage, for seven years.  They are a double-edged sword for long-term
palliative pain care, but other methods--invasive and otherwise--have not
proven effective enough to allow me to function productively.  The major
downside to long-term treatment with opiates is physiological dependence.
Withdrawal, even in the short term, is no fun.  Missing a dose, even by as
little as 2 or three hours, results in extremely uncomfortable, flu-like,
symptoms.

My tuppence.

-Kyle