C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:14:58 EDT
In a message dated 05/31/2000 3:31:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> they *glued* the sprinklers on? what were they thinking?

I believe they hired a contractor to install a sprinkler system and he tried
to save money by scamming them with just the sprinkler heads.  The deed
probably didn't go too long unnoticed though.  I don't know the details, but
I don't see how it could have.

>  My friend from France swore up and down at my smoke alarm, and said in
> France
>  there are no laws forcing landlords to put them in, and none that force
>  renters to use them.

I'm a little out of my territory from navy/air force housing regulation (my
bailiwick), but to the best of my knowledge, except in certain circumstances
(such as licensed home day care), there are no laws in the US providing for
the enforcement of the use of smoke detectors or other fire protection
devices.  In Maryland, new residential construction has to include sprinkler
systems as of sometime in the 1980s.  I don't know about other state laws
governing residential fire protection though.  There is no provision for the
forced inspection of private residences, unless you live in military housing
-- I don't know about HUD housing.

Good thing to consider with regard to smoke detection devices:
Products of combustion will usually kill a person before the fire gets to
them, and can do so without the person knowing what s/he is breathing.  That
was the case with the MGM Grand fire.  Some occupants of the upper teen
floors were found to have died in the middle of a card game, oblivious to the
immediate threat.  The fire was in the lobby, but the fire dampers were fixed
in an open position, allowing products of combustion to travel to upper
floors.

Smoke detectors save lives; they save lives!

I tried to be very respectful when I inspected a military family's home.
Being an air force wife living off base, I was aware that no one could come
into our home like that, and I really hated going in theirs.  At the moment,
I only remember one hazard that stuck in my memory.  I don't think the lady
of the home will mind if I share; she was very nice about correcting the
hazard.

She had affixed a decorative match holder on the wall, directly over her gas
stove, and it was filled to the top with wooden matches.  As soon as I saw
it, my eyes bugged out of my head and I had to tell her.  She took it off
while I was there.  For their sake, I'm glad I went there that day, but I
really hated that part of my job.  I must admit though, I met the nicest
families that way.

In fact, now that I am reminiscing, I met a wonderful military family who had
a child with a severe disability.  They asked for volunteers for patterning
exercises for their son, and I helped out with that for a while on mornings
after I got off my shift.  They are not in the military anymore, and I
certainly hope they are all doing well.  I have no idea where they went.

I know you guys are indulging me right now, and I really appreciate it.  I've
got a lot on my mind here at home and this sharing is helping me keep my
sanity.  It's nice to be able to share some of these memories with you.  I
love the fire service.