C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 13:21:26 -0600
Linda,

Same thing happens in Wyoming, and I imagine in any place that doesn't
have an active or vocal (or large) population of people with
disabilities.  Things are getting better here though, as people with
disabilities are getting more vocal, and the public is getting more
receptive.  Don't know if you've seen MurderBall, but Mark Zupan did a
great PSA on accessible parking.  Here's the link from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il3GsvOLpuw

Thing that drives me around the bend is people who park on the
cross-hatched area next to my van, making it impossible to get my ramp
out.

Since I use a powerchair, I'll often park farther away and roll across
the parking lot if the weather is good.  About two weeks ago, I was at
Wal-Mart, and guy came and parked his touring motorcycle in the
accessible space next to mine.  I was all set to read him the riot
act, when he put his parking placard on the area behind the wind
screen.  I then noticed his oxygen, and just said "Nice bike!  Know of
anyplace that converts 'em to three wheelers?"

--

Kendall