C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Oct 2013 10:11:33 -0600
My wife has speech difficulties, and when she was a kid, she gravitated
toward people who dealt well with it.  I think we all do that to an extent,
whatever our difference might be.  Janet came from a small town (3-5K) in
Iowa, so everyone knew everyone else which helped.  We al "come from"
smaller communities even if we live in a large city - we know the people we
go to school, work, and other activities with.  Some in that community may
be more accepting than others, As Jeff and I found, there may be a few who
are truly antagonistic, more who we don't interact with, Some we interact
with on the basis of work/school, etc. activities, and a few who are close
friends.  Pretty much a bell curve.

It sounds like your son may be in a new school, or just starting school.
In either case, unless it's a year round school, he's just getting started
with the year.  Encourage him to get to know other kids with similar
interests, and your house will probably be overrun with his friends before
you know it.  In the Facebook age, I've become reacquainted with a bunch of
people that I knew in grade school, and some were openly antagonistic when
we were kids and are people I converse with regularly now,  Two f
the people who were antagonistic as kids now work in the disabilities
field, and so we connect fairly frequently.  Both had kids with
disabilities - one had a kid with CP, and the other with an orthopedic
disability.  Sometimes G_d has a way of changing minds that it would take
decades longer otherwise,

--

Kendall