C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 05:31:46 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask]
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Stephanie Thomas
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2000 3:22 PM
To: micasa-list
Subject: Updates on the Kick off!

Montana's hook up was attended by people representing ADAPT Montana; the
Rural Institute on Disabilities, the Coalition of Montanans Concerned
with
Disabilities; People 1st of Missoula; ADSUM, the disabled students group
at
the Univ. of MT; Summit ILC; the Montana Health Coalition; and a staff
person from Sen. Max Baucus' office, along with a reporter from Montana
Public
Radio. A good time was had by all, everyone took lots of handouts about
MiCASSA home, and the MPR reporter did an interview. By the end of the
press
conference we had been joined by 2 persons from MT's P & A (MAP). After
things concluded, Bob and I sped off to Helena where to present to all
the
staff in MT who work for the Developmental Disabilities System. Told
them
all about MiCASSA, too.
On our way back to Missoula, we turned on MPR just in time to catch the
interview from our event-the reporter had fleshed it out with material
from
the press pack, and turned it into a five minute segment that was heard
in
2/3 of MT(and that's a lot of square miles, and cows!).
We'll have to wait until tomorrow to see if the papers print anything.
And
that's the story from the northern Rockies! Marsha Katz and Bob Liston
and
Tammy Minor

Wisconsin had multiple events.  In Madison the crowd gathered at the DD
Council for the call. Meanwhile in Milwaukee the Center hosted the
event,
providing the essential organizing element, a food party and had about 7
organizations represented and 60 persons in attendance.
Lee Schultz and Steve Verriden

In St. Louis, despite lots of folks being at the regional IL Conference
in
Kansas City, we had great press turn out,  3 TV stations and a couple
radios
were there and taped the call.  MO P& A and the City of St. Louis gave
letters of support.  Even our infamous governor's
office called at the last minute and said they would be faxing over a
letter
of his support but it has yet to arrive.  FREE OUR PEOPLE  Michelle
Steeger

Over 47 sites, with well over 1,000 individuals, participated in the
MiCASSA
S. 1935 Kickoff Event Weds May 3rd.  Thanks go to ADAPT and NCIL for
the phone hook ups which allowed folks from Alaska to Florida, from
Arizona
to Vermont to take part.  Senators Harkin and Specter addressed the
group as
did several other individuals including Paul Spooner, NCIL President.
The
Senators were presented with MiCASSA Real Choice in the New Millennium
T-Shirts which they vowed to wear on the Senate floor.   Senator Harkin
said
this is one of the most important pieces of legislation and that he is
committed to the bill, but he added that many important bills are
stalled in
Congress and that he and Specter will need all our help to see MiCASSA
through.  He encouraged the grassroots to contact their Senators and
Congress people to co-sponsor and support the bill.

In Kansas City MO, the hook up was made at a region 7 (IA, NE, KS, MO)
independent living conference with over 300 people in attendance!
Denver
had 50 people including representative for their Congresspeople and the
Rockies Baseball team.  Austin Tx had 25 people and statewide media
coverage.

NATIONAL ADAPT MAILING LIST - Adapt MiCASA List