C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joanne Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 00:21:25 EST
In a message dated 02/17/2000 11:48:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 My wife just showed me an essay in the Feb. 14 issue of Time Magazine by an
 MD in a wheelchair taking "Superman" to task on his Super Bowl ad >>

I read it and thought it was an excellent article.  Really made me think.
Speaking of articles in the our local Metro paper (Detroit News) there was an
article about van conversions for the handicap being unsafe and illegal to
boot. The Nat'l HighwayTraffic Safety Commission (NHTSC) has released a 12
page brochure with cost cutting tips,liscening requirements and training
advice. Tampering with fuel systems, seat belts, air bags and other regulated
features is illegal without permission from the agency. An example given is
that lowering the floor of an econline van 4 inches to allow easier WC access
requires leaves little room for the fuel pump and gas tank. This is usually
dealt with by replacing the fuel system with smaller parts and changing it's
location which creates a possible fire hazard...The article claims that many
modifier shops are unaware of the safety rules or confused by them or realize
they are disabling safety features.  The article also made me think....

Joanne