C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brent Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:12:18 -0500
I know I should stay out of this, because (almost) every time I've ever
expressed a strong opinion here I've just made an ass of myself, but...
<grin>...

> China has signed the Kyoto agreement and the US has not.

<Rolls eyes> Just the word "Kyoto" has taken on an almost talisman-like
significance to the American Left.

I'm late for work, but will try to provide links for what I'm about to write
if anyone actually cares this evening. But briefly, China is signatory to
Kyoto because, as a "developing state" Kyoto will have almost ZERO impact on
the Chinese economy in the short term, and negligible impact in the medium
term. Kyoto would only put the squeeze on China starting in about 2020. (I
could be wrong about that date.) By 2020, will anyone even remember Kyoto?

The US hasn't signed Kyoto (NOT "the Bush Administration won't sign it" - in
the real world it is doubtful Kerry would have signed it either had he won
despite his overwrought campaign rhetoric) because Kyoto would devastate the
US economy right now - while giving countries like China, India, and Russia
a free ride for years.

For the record I personally think GW Bush is the most truly stupid president
the US has "elected" since Calvin Coolidge, and my personal political views
are left of center on many issues. The environment and kowtowing to the EU
just don't happen to make my list.

Brent