C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elaine Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1999 09:00:44 EST
When kids are young, usually under 8, and they are staring at my kids, I try
to draw them into a conversation about the power chair and show how "cool" it
is that Alex and Briana can drive it themselves just like the powerwheel cars
that kids use.  However, when kids look old enough to understand and just
stare, I have instructed Briana to ask them "Do you have a problem or What
are you looking at?"

It may not be very nice, but I am very tired of people staring at my kids.
She did it once to a kid in ShopRite and he sort of stuttered "ah, ah,
nothing," he was old enough to know better, and hopefully, he won't do it
again.  I will not have people staring at my kids like their freaks!

The other thing I am extremely tired of is adults looking at them in pity and
patting them on the head.  Their not dogs for heaven's sake.  Or, oh, God
Bless you (he already has, they just don't know it), I don't know how you do
it.  It may be a well intended statement, but quite honestly, I'm tired of it.

Elaine