C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Orzel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:47:37 -0500
Kathy Jo,

I was just reading about your comments about work and SSI.  You may
not know of a important regulation within SSI called 1619.  When you
get SSI, a person is eligible for 1619 and is able to be employed at a
job of his or her choosing.

What this means in a nutshell is that the person receiving SSI could
go to work and earn more money. This person will probably lose some of
their SSI cash benefits at first (depending on their income). The more
that a person makes, the more their SSI payments will go down. When
they make enough monies to completely lose there SSI cash benefits,
and if they still need Medicaid to go to work (attendant, etc), they
could still receive Medicaid until they make the threshold amount, if
they need Medicaid extensively, they could have an individualized
threshold.

I am making a good income and am about to buy a house and I still
receive Medicaid.  The reason is that I need Medicaid to work and I
cannot pay for my additional medical services (attendants) without
Medicaid.  Without Medicaid, I would NOT be able to work.

All this is saying that if you are receiving SSI, you could work and
still receive benefits.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This e-mail is meant for the use of the intended recipient.
It may contain confidential information which is, or may be, legally
privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure. If you have
received this message in error or believe that you are not the intended
recipient you are strictly prohibited from using, disseminating, distributing
or copying the e-mail. You are also directed to forward this e-mail to:
[log in to unmask] and delete it from your system.