C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 22 Aug 2009 06:06:38 EDT
Thank you for your thoughtful comments about my "Thin and Famous" blog as I
 figure out my next move in trying to get a prevention message out there. I
 have written several articles (although I had never heard of the site you
mentioned so I will submit one to that) and spoken about CMV prevention,
but in the end, the public doesn't want to hear too much about  disability
and disease, but they do seem attracted to "how to"  information, so that is
why I am trying this approach and chose a silly  title.  I do want to clarify
that cytomegalovirus (CMV) did cause my  daughter's cerebral palsy (and
blindness, hearing loss, seizures, mental  impairment and death) and it might
have been prevented had I known during my  pregnancy not to share utensils
with my toddler or kiss her the mouth (or I  could have gotten it because I
ran daycare in my home and perhaps I didn't wash  my hands immediately after
picking up toys the little ones had put in their  mouths). I did enjoy all of
Elizabeth's 16 years, and I believe she enjoyed them  with us, but it pains
me every time I get an e-mail from a mom who just gave  birth to a severely
disabled child and asks, "Why didn't anyone ever warn  me about this?"
Overall, congenital CMV causes more disabilities than Down syndrome, but
many OB/GYNs don't warn their patients about it. I hope to make it as
well-known  as not changing the kitty litter. You can learn more about congenital
CMV at: _http://www.cdc.gov/cmv/_ (http://www.cdc.gov/cmv/)
steps!
=JulystepsfooterNO115)