C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jason Kruse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:18:00 -0600
Hi everyone-
Its me again, Dad of Lauren 6, in first grade, gets special integrated
services for PT, adaptive PE, OT. She had an inutero stroke and had mild
left hemiplegia and hypotonia. Has come along way physically, doesn't
write very well but not seeing too many other limitations that are
getting in the way of other things. She is however, getting bad reports
almost every day from school for making mean faces at teachers,
disrupting class and activitis with silly behavior, calling teach,
poopoo head, stupid, giving signs of resistance with almost every
request as if it is a habit now. We see this at home and it seems almost
malignant now. Not sure where it comes from and why it has persisted.
Pretty much the entire school year. The teachers just make note of it on
her school reports (daily) but are apparently just working with her and
around the behaviors. I admit that her behaviors really are not very
intimidating and I don't think that anyone of them or us find them to be
very threatening at all, but she has latched on to them and is not
seeming to move past it. We do administer timeouts when she gets home
and take away all fun things when this happens. We also are very liberal
on rewarding good days and behaviors. I don't' get the sense that she
really craves our positive reinforcement. She is pretty confident and
strong willed. Suprising strong for a girl of her outward softness. The
attitude doesn't really match her general demeanor.

Any suggestions or comments??? I find it difficult to see that she could
be so oppositional to every little rule or suggestion.

Concerned and out of ideas

DAD
Jason K