C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:06:24 -0400
Hi ya'll,

I have my own mailing list, for a country music singer - sometimes they get off
topic, and this is off topic for my list - but told him I would run this past
you all, and see if you had any opinions on his "situation".........  just
answer me privately, or via this CP list and I'll send to him.

I'm not sure if anyone out there on the list will know if this is legal
or not. But here goes...

        Back in December of 1999 I had to take a medical leave from work due to
Lymphodema of my left leg. I have been going through therapy to treat
this condition since January 1st of 2000 and I was officially released
by my doctor(the one who recommended the therapy) on September 1st of
2000 so that I could return to work starting on the 5th of September.

        The front office knew that I was planning on returning on the 5th with
my release. I had talked to a lady in personnel and she said thaat I
just needed to come in with my release on the 5th, then she let me talk
to my supervisor who in turn told me the same thing. Only I was to
report to her desk at 7am on the 5th to begin my training.

        When I showed up on the 5th I was told that they had tried to call me
and left a message on my machine stating that I had to call the office
to schedule a "fitness for duty test" before I could return to work. So
I was then sent home given an appointment to see the company doctor on
the 6th of September.(still with me on this?)

        Now, when I went in for my test I was not given the standard drug test.
The nurse took my blood pressure and then told me to wait for the
doctor. ...When he walked in he looked at some papers in a folder,
squeezed my right leg, asked why I was out on sick leave and then told
me that I was too fat to be working.

        I overheard him telling the woman in personnel at my plant(I knew he
was talking to her because I heard him being paged for the call) that
they should not let me go back to work unless I lost 100 pounds and that
I then had to show them that I had lost the weight before letting me
back. ...When he came back into my room he told me that he was going to
wait for some papers from my plant with my job description before he
would make a decision as to my returning to work.

        That was September 6th... I phoned the plant on the 7th or 8th to find
out what was going on. They said that they were still waiting for the
doctors report.

        On the 14th of September I phoned the union president at the plant and
asked him what was talking soo long in them getting back to me with a
response. I was then told that a letter would be sent out to me sometime
that evening with a reply. ...The 19th I phoned the union again asking
for the letter with my reply. I was then told that I should have gotten
the letter that day... but no later than the 21st. ...Well, I got a
reply from them the next day that was written on September 19th. So they
lied about sending it out on the 14th.

        In the letter they gave me some runaround about the company doctor
saying that if I were to return to work I would be in great danger of
aggrivating my present medical condition. So until my condition resolves
itself they a reinstating my status of being on medical leave. ...But I
can't collect any type of compensation. My last sick pay check was back
in June.

        The company doctor did not treat me for my condition. And I will have
this for the rest of my life. ...Is there anyone out there that knows
what I can do about this matter? The company is in Illinois... and I'm a
member of the UAW... only our union is in bed with the company.

Thanks.

"RiSK"

P.S. I weigh less now than when I was hired back in 1997.

--
Don't forget to visit http://rvs.netporch.com/ for RVS fan pics, rvsfans