C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:40:49 -0400
Joanne,

I want to thank you for your considerate and compassionate read on
growing up unloved an unwanted.  How to create and find love in all the
right ways and places endures as a primary human concern--not only for
people with disabilities.  Children especially are vulnerable to
violation, brutality, exploitation, neglect as many on this list know
all too well.

Your concern allows me to reflect on a painful personal experience.  Let
me be clear that my parents and family raised me wanted, loved and
nurtured.  They determined that I be given every opportunity to succeed.
The problems I encountered happened young.  To this day, with all of my
knowledge and finesse, I feel the rawness of not having, for a period in
hospital, a mother or father to sooth my crying in the night, to stay
with me when I wanted.  Even now the long ago experience colors my
encountering the adult issues of love, trust, and betrayal.

Another level for celebrating birthdays.  But I want you to know I
noted.  And I care very much, even though some Fools may think
otherwise.  I am always and ever blessed with true and wonderful
friends.

Thanks,

Steve M.