C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:21:04 -0500
Hi Deborah,

            I was always up front with Amber about her "disability" and the
need for the special care. I can remember her in Kindergarten - explaining
to another child why she couldn't do something becasue her right hand didn't
work that way - the child's reaction was - oh okay and that was it. I felt -
my feeling only - they are the front line and need to have as much knowledge
on an appropriate level that they can explain things to others and feel good
about who they are. I explained to Amber - her brain the part that made her
right hand, arm and leg work had a boo-boo - so they didn't work as well as
other peoples. Later I explained about the stroke in more detail as she got
older and her ability to conceptualize expanded. Break the idea into the
simplest terms you can think of.

                                      Brightest Blessings
                                             Trisha - sending a hug!!

> At 10:56 AM 02/16/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> >I'm beginning to face a situation with my eldest son, age 8 dxed with
severe
> >ADHD, Anti-social behavior disfunction, dyslexia w/ dysgraphia, central
> >processing delay, moderate delay in gross and fine motor skills,
hypotonia
> >and a tick disorder.  He went to a prepatory school for kindergarten and
1st
> >grade, did do ok with allot of help and understanding from teachers, but
> >towards the end of 1st grade he had to be taken off all drugs for his
ADHD
> >for failure to grow.  So at that point school was intolerable for him,
ended
> >up being removed from school the last month of the school year.  This
year
> >he went to a public school in hopes of being placed in an all inclusive
> >classroom because of no control over reaction to stimuli either internal
or
> >external.  Didn't happen, they insisted on keeping him in a normal second
> >grade and his teacher insisted on not teaching him.
> >So we finally found a school that is working for him at the moment, it is
> >charted school for students with SLD label.
> >Now here is the delima, his younger brother (not the youngest ) and his
> >sister still go to the same prepatory school that he went to last year,
he
> >now wants to go back there.  How can I explain to him, without him
feeling
> >stupid or low, that he cannot attend a "normal" school or classroom
because
> >of his disabilities ?  I have never told him he is disabled, should I ?
He
> >will be 9 in July and I know he knows he is not like everyone else.
Please