C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 14:08:40 -0500
Ken,

I really do feel that there is a vast gulf of mis-understanding between all races, creeds and faiths within the US and globally.  A big part, I feel, is that a large segment of the culturally "elite" (mass media, universities, political organizations) take a cue from Rodney King.  Let me qualify:

On that spring day in '95, I really think that Mr. King was sincere in his question, "Can't we all get along?"  The groups I mentioned, however, parrot these words and do nothing else except ask us to police up our language so it's not offensive to some particular group.  Changing words does not change attitudes of the heart.  The only way that can happen is if each group--each individual--examines his or her behavior and attitudes and is willing to accept truth and responsibility.  I fear this is not going to happen as we are in a time where folks say, with all seriousness, "that's may be true for you, but not for me."  Facts are binary--they are either correct or incorrect.  They are not correct for some, but incorrect for others.

Until each of us is willing to take responsibility for our own failures, we're doomed to have cultures of complaint and professional victimization.  Color me paranoid, but I do believe we are headed for an internal war of culture and race equal to anything ever seen in the Balkans, Middle East or Africa.

Kyle