C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 17:20:41 -0500
Betty,

As an elementary teacher, I can tell you that I think it is still very
common for parents to say, "Don't stare!  Don't ask questions!  Don't
talk to them!"  Each year when I begin with a new group of students, I
walk back and forth at the front of the room, introduce myself and give
students a chance to ask me any questions they want.  Everyone looks at
my legs as I walk but no one asks.  Then I say, "I know there is a
really important question that you all want to ask.  It is ok.  Ask."
Then a brave soul slowly raises their hand and asks, "Why do you walk
funny?"  The ice is broken.  There is a big sigh of relief from the
class.  From my reaction, they then know it is just fine to ask me
questions about having cp.  In fact, I tell them that if they have been
taught to "not stare or ask questions" that they can forget that
approach with just about every disabled person.  Then I live each day to
show them that having a disability is not that big of a deal, that I am
just a person.  In the five years I've been teaching, I can already see
a difference in the way kids relate to me and to other kids who are
different.

Linda