C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jenn Zubko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:56:24 -0500
Dear Judi,

Being that I am a Carleton University student, also have cerebral palsy, and use an electric wheelchair for mobility, I feel I can properly attest to the accessibility of the campus, etc. At Carleton, we have a great attendant services prpogram that helps with morning routines, transfers, toiletting, feedng, cleaning or our rooms. laundry, etc. etc. Attendants are available 24 hours per day, and we have gender choce ( i.e. Dana could have a male help him with dressing, toileting 24 hours a day if he wished) Academics, of course, are the responsibility of the student.. but one can have notetakers for classes, taperecord lectures, and it is possible to have student volunteers help you with your work as well. This is done through the Centre for Students with Disabilities, also called the Paul Menton Centre.

There are also underground tunnels to get anywhere on Campus, so Dana would never have to go outside in the winter trying to get to class in his chair. I know that was one of your worries.

Carleton boasts the best attendant services program in North America, as far as I know. The attendants are all

 extensively trained, and are students themselves, so understand what it is like to be stressed during exams, etc.

I came to school here from London (about 8 hours away) and so can attest that I like the program.

If you want more info on Carleton, the website is: http://www.carleton.ca/

There is also a publised accessibility guide listing all accessible features of all buildings on campus... elevators, automatic door openers, etc. This can be found at:

http://www.carleton.ca/pmc/index2.html

Go to the Accessibility Guide for Carleton Campus Buildings

Ottawa also has a pretty wonderful busing system for people with disabilities. Yocu can book the bus a day ahead and get dropped off at the door of your destination...
Hence, Dana wouldn't really have to be cold, even in winter, if he were going somewhere.

    Hope that this may help with your decision making... Give it a look anyway...

Jenn

Jennifer Zubko
Honours English
Carleton University