C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2000 17:44:08 PST
Deri,
It sounds like what you did as far as the safety net issue with your kids
was effective and kept them reasonable safe as well as allowing them to
exercise their judgement and independence. If it works use it. In my
opinion, I think many nondisabled parents rely too much on using their
physical abilities to control and protect their kids. If a preschooler won't
do what the parent wants they just pick them up and carry them off to
whereever they want them to go, for example. I was highly verbal with my
kids since birth. I always tried to tell them what to expect ahead of time
and always let them know what the consequence would be when they were not
complying. Hence, its not neccessary to be physical with them, except for
affection. Renee