C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:48:37 -0500
Hi Anee,

>Oh I whole hartedly agree about that you can put your mind to it and do >it
attitude.  But you also have to be resonable, if you have attempted
>highschool geomotry 2 times with tutoring and can not pass with a >grade
higher than a 70 you have to be resanoble about what you can >do, the last
math course I took Consumer Mathmatoic in college I also >barly passed with
going to the math tutoring lab every day for an hour >or two.  You have to
take GPA in consideration too because with out a >reasnoble GPA you are not
likly to get accepted into >physical/occupational therapy -- 2 very
competive majors.  Now I do >think I could do OT drgree because the math
requiremenyts
>arn't that much only an introductory physics class and an algebra and
>statistics course but it just would not be a wise decission to try and
>head for the PT degree.  Actually health care administration  is not the
>wisest choice either for some one who tends to barly pass math and >you
have to maintain a 3.0 average in a business cources to stay in the >major
and about 1/3 of the cources are math related but I say who >cares---we'll
just see if I can do it.  At least the math in HCA is more >basic than the
trig and physics needed in PT.

       Well, I can certainly relate to not doing well at Math -in high
geometry - I made a D and they ask me to drop Algebra Trig the next year
becasue I was failing and I did, and in college math I failed basic math in
the 4 year college and the 2 year college, I went to. I also failed
Accounting. Hence the idea I would never graduate from college. One factor I
did think of afterwards is adult students general make better grades and are
more successful becasue we have different  motivations for being in school
and are footing bill ( I have a 40,000 student loan looming over my head). I
have my fingers crossed on passing my midterm tomorrow in my Master's level
Stat class. Lots of math, none of which means a thing to me. So I know I
will garner few points on that part. I am shooting for a C and will work
hard on the project and the chapters for the final and hopefully pull off a
B - becasue that the lowest acceptable grade. School stuff gets crunched in
between the 2 jobs, kid and house. If you where talking about only one
course Physics then it a different propostion than a whole slew of math
courses. I am however masochistically concidering taking more math at a
later date. The stakes are little different - you are just starting out and
can pick and chose - so what ever is easiest and affords the best success is
a goood choice. In that case I would be digging up dinosaur bones. When you
have a lot a stake and few options - you frequently just have to do what
needs to be done and make it a success. One of the reasons I am a good
analyst is becasue I don't accept things can't be done and come up with a
gazillion alternatives. By the way it took me 26 years to graduate from
college! Kinda did the tortoise thing! But then he won the race!!

      You need to do what you think is best. I was just showing how thinking
can be a self fullfilling prophecy. That its is all in our heads. Its tough
to pick out what you want to be when you grow up - I am thinking maybe I'll
be an adult but then NAAAAAAAAAAAAA to much work!!!

Anee - I am never reasonable (GRIN)  reasonable would mean Amber would be in
a walker with a curled up useless arm - I would be making $17,000 a year
living( yes I know there are parts of the counrty where you can live of this
but it ain't DC) in dive apartment in drug ridden neighborhood taking the
bus and being destitue - on the other hand I am not trying to be a rocket
scientist - so maybe I am a bit reasonable. LOL  EGAD - I may lose my
image!!!

                                      Grins - Trisha