C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mary Katherine Powers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 15:22:45 -0400
I wrote him a summary of my issues, including coordination/balance problems.  He did not mention them though.  the only thing he said regarding what I wrote is that I don't have CP and that preemies often have delayed development.  then he told me that my tendons were tight, but he didn't say why.

If there are no spine issues, he thinks the muscle pain is due to my being overweight.  I'm not sure I agree with this.  The pain seems to hit so fast when I'm walking and the stiffness is intense enough that I can't do the stretches I've been given (which I also told him), I don't think that is due to weight alone, although I know I need to lose weight.  I seem to deteriorate so far, so fast, where I can hardly move after a couple short walks or gentle stretches.  I can't believe my weight is causing all that.  One PT told me he's seen people much more overweight than I am who are a lot more flexible - he had no explanation for this.

Part of my problem is I am on psychotropic meds that cause weight gain (seroquel now, zyprexa and lexapro, maybe others in the past).  I'm not psychotic btw, the seroquel and zyprexa are "off-label" uses for sleep and anxiety.

my psychiatrist has said at least 3 times that my symptoms are not due to any medication I've been on, either now or in the past.

diet alone does not work well in helping me lose weight.  I've tried it several times.  It seems to need to be diet plus exercise, and I have difficulty exercising.

the other thing that makes me wonder if it is just weight is that the pain and stiffness does not improve a whiole lot when I'm sitting down.

I'm afraid I'm still confused...let me know if these emails become too much.  I really don't want to burden the list.

Mary Katherine