C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 2006 19:13:59 -0400
Thanks ever so, Deri!  I'm sorry to say that mime settings are still
Greek
to me but am I correct in understanding you to say that the fault was
in the way
each subscriber has his or her listserv settings configured?

I use Apple's Os X Mail app but am using the plain text setting, not the
rich text format as I like my emails plain. ;)  I remember all the
problems
we had a couple of years ago when someone on this list used a Windows
email
software that was all graphics and it created a mess.  I don't want
to make
things difficult for anyone so let me know if my emails still look
wonky.

I suppose this all means I should stop checking my home emails at
work and
replying to them via the web!

Kat

P.S. Deri, I did have a Linux box  -- well a Linux installation on a
Pentium III
machine -- but I got a Mac Mini last summer and have used it ever
since.  And hey,
Os X is built on Unix, so I'm not entirely Unix-free! ;)

On 3 Apr 2006, at 17:20, Deri James wrote:

On Sunday 02 Apr 2006 23:31, Brent Edwards wrote:
> Kat,
>
> I know you were once aware of this, but on the off chance you don't
> know
> that it is still going on, I offer the following in an FYI context.
> Every email you send to the list, whether totally original, quoted, or
> (as in the example below) forwarded from the [log in to unmask]
> address is filled with carriage return, line feed, and in some cases
> punctuation marks replaced with equals signs and what appears to be
> Base
> 16 escape codes(?). Trisha Cummings' emails have this stuff on them
> _sometimes_, as well, but _all_ of your messages do.
>
> See below:

Done a little furtling (not yet illegal in the UK!!).

Two things I have noticed:-

This happens only when Kat uses some WebMail interface (not if she
sends from
her Apple (hey what happened to your Linux box!!)).

Even when Kat's mails contain thing like '=2E' my mail reader handles it
correctly (I can only see they are there if I look at the "raw" email).

The reason my mail reader converts these correctly is because there
is a Mime
Header saying the email is "quoted-printable", so logic determines that
either your mail reader doesn't understand the Mime Headers (but
Thunderbird
1.5 (your mail reader) definitely does), or the List Server is
stripping out
these mime headers when forwarding the message to you.

Quick shufti at your list settings.....

Ah, yes, your "Mail Header Style" is set to " [Special or obsolete
header
style]"!!! I've just changed it to "Normal LISTSERV-style header" let
me know
if it fixes it.

Cheers

Deri