C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ken barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2007 19:03:45 -0700
absolutely unbelieveable. how can a court rull mental
retardation not a disability? the 11th, where is that
at.

i wish i could get my case to a court but by law can
not. the government once again has stacked the deck in
its own favor. since the 1940s no less.

--- "Kendall D. Corbett" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Ken, and everyone,
>
> ,
>
> The 11th Circuit just held that mental retardation
> is _not_ a
> disability under the ADA.  Think we could get an
> Appeals Court to say
> we don't have a disability, like your doctors did in
> your
> disability/worker's comp. case ?!?  Littleton's
> argument may have
> failed becuse he used the word "thinking" instead of
> "learning," and
> "communicating" instead of "speaking."  Follow the
> link to read the
> full decision.  So if we were discriminated against
> because we don't
> walk well, and sued saying we had "impaired
> ambulation,"  rather than
> "walking" would our case be rejected because we/our
> attorneys used
> slightly different terminology?  IMHO, Littleton's
> terminology
> probably was more descriptive of his disability than
> the narrower
> terms "learning" and "speaking," but easily included
> them.
>
> I just signed on to do local work for the "Road to
> Freedom" ADA tour
> and the post from JFA about this landed in my
> mailbox about 20 minutes
> later.  If people with all types of disabilities
> don't make our voices
> heard on this, I'm afraid the slow dismantling of
> the ADA will
> continue, and accelerate.
>
> Court Decision: "Mental retardation" is not a
> disability under ADA
>
> In the case of Littleton v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.,
> the Court of
> Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, in an unpublished
> opinion from May
> 11, held that an individual with mental retardation
> did not have a
> disability under the Americans with Disabilities
> Act.
>
> With guidance from the Alabama Independent Living
> Center, Mr.
> Littleton interviewed for a job as a cart-push
> associate at Wal-Mart.
> However he was not allowed to have his job coach
> accompany him into
> the interview, and he was ultimately not hired.
>
> While acknowledging his intellectual disability, in
> the Court's
> analysis, Littleton, who receives Social Security
> benefits because of
> his disability, was found not to be substantially
> limited in major
> life activities.
>
> The following are excerpts from the court decision:
>
> "We do not doubt that Littleton has certain
> limitations because of his
> mental retardation. In order to qualify as
> 'disabled' under the ADA,
> however, Littleton has the burden of proving that he
> actually is, is
> perceived to be, or has a record of being
> substantially limited as to 'major life activities'
> [...]

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time