C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 16:29:47 EST
Hi Cindy-

Yes some people with CP do have lots of hip problems.  In fact the statistics
point to anywere from 2.6% to 30.0% of all people with CP have hip
dislocation problems.  And if you consider only non-ambultory spastic CPers
the statistic shots up to 50% (source dupont institute for othopedics).

Most common hip dislocation happens to people with spastic CP as oppose to
the other two types.  Although I spose it can happen in all 3 (4) types of CP
in reality.

If you read medical litrature this actualy has a name...something that dose
have a name...yes...it is a mericle...it's name is Spastic Hip Dislocation
and Subluxation, or a shorter term is  Spastic Hip Displasia or Spastic
Cerebral Palsy Hip Displasia.  In some cases tendon relese surgeries are
preformed in high risk patients to try and prevent spastic hip displasia (or
that is the current practice on the othopedic side of things).

Yours,
Anee Stanford
Webmaster of CPIC
http://www.geocities.com/aneecp/CPIC.html

In a message dated 11/1/1999 1:43:23 PM Central Standard Time,