C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dana Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 Jul 1999 09:06:09 -0700
I knew I forgot to post an update someplace! Sorry guys!!!

Surgery went great. I ended up with spinal headaches for nearly two weeks.
The normal cure for that is drinking stuff loaded with caffiene, but I get
migranes if I do that. The headaches quit just before I was going in for a
blood patch to fix the hole that was leaking spinal fluid. Would have
required another spinal tap, not fun. :(

We're adjusting the pump every few days... it's still not where I'd like to
be. I do NOT have any CP related pain, which is wonderful, but my legs
could be looser. I can still walk, WITH AIDS. I lost the ability to walk
unassisted, which was no big deal 'cause I'd fall after 20 or so feet
anyways. Now, it's I'll fall after 3 steps. *grin* Am using a walker until
I get into PT, as I notice that I hunch over when I use forearm crutches.

The hospital FINALLY sent the Service Dog policies a week before surgery.
Had to have Assistance Dog Advocacy email/call/fax to get them to do so.
*sigh* As for Gillis, yes, the UW let him in, AFTER Assistance Dog Advocacy
sent them a fax and told them EXACTLY what the law said, and EXACTLY what
Keith and I decided about Gillis. Also it was made clear that I was aware
that my dog couldn't go into sterile areas.

On the day of surgery, Gillis came with me and helped me undress to prep.
Then he and Keith left after I was put on a gurney and taken to pre-op.
After I woke up, Gillis and Keith were there. :) Had NO problems with
anyone the entire week I was in the hospital. A friend came to visit, and
all she heard when she was walking her black Lab/Rottie mix was "that's not
a Doberman". *ROFL* Another friend came with her Service Dog and didn't
even hear that, 'cause Kilo is a Dalmatian, and I figured they knew better
than to say he wasn't a Doberman 'cause he's the wrong color!

I still tire easily, and can't do much, but I don't have much surgical pain
after two weeks. However, when it came time to take out the sutures, my
doctor had to dig for them, because I healed too fast! Was not fun sitting
in an exam room and he's poking around the skin that is starting to grow
over to take out the sutures. *sigh* At least I didn't hit him or scream.
:) I still have stiff legs at times, so we're upping the dosage of baclofen
every few days. It's entirely my decision how loose I want to be. My doctor
just advises. :) One big problem is that if I lean down on the right side
to pick up something off the floor, or put on my shoe, my body runs into
the pump and it hurts a bit. So, I had to start bringing my leg up and fold
it behind me a bit to get shoes and socks on. It's mostly a bother, but one
I can live with since I can do things I couldn't before.

Found that while my legs were stiff, NO permenant contractures, like the
hamstrings. A little light work and my knees will be straight, 'cause they
almost are now! :)

At 10:48 AM 7/31/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Dana,
>
>         You haven't posted to the list for sometime. How did the surgery go?
>Did they allow your dog to be there?
>
>Bobby

Dana Marshall
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Styx/5326