C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 22:58:59 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Attermeier <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Friday, September 24, 1999 8:28 PM
Subject: Re: RESEARCH PROJECT

>Dear Joanne:
>
>I am using the definition of "severe" that corresponds with the following
>trunk control and to maximize hand function.

Alex uses a rifton chair at school for support when doing fine motor skills

 Children move in and out of
>chair sitting with assistance from an adult or a stable surface to push or
>pull up on with their arms.

Alex needs assitance out of the rifton chair.  On the ground he can go from
sit to crawl to sit on his own.

 Children may at best walk short distances with a
>walker and adult supervision but have difficulty turning and maintaining

Alex uses a rifton walker at school.  He is not able to stand independantly
nor use a walker like a kaye walker.  He is gettting profienct at using a
standing danny and propelling himself.  He bumps into the walls a lot
becuase he lost his side vision due to ROP laser surgery and also he is a
mini Evil Kneievel and gets his thrills from playing bump 'em walls.>.

 Children are transported in the community.  They
>may acheive self-mobility using a power wheelchair"

This is true of Alex and we are now looking into the best wc/ self-mobility
options for him.

>If he can sit on the floor with his hands free for play, he probably does
not
>fit the description.

ALex had SDR surgery this July and with the reduction in spasticity his
sitting balance has improved so much that he can now use both hands for play
and not topple over.  Before the surgery his left hand was always on the
ground for balance and often his right hand too.
Funny, I still have trouble considering him severe.
Joanne