C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 08:21:52 -0400
 I've been mulling the phrase "CP Stealth Disease" for quite a while.

Disease because it may or not happen to all people with CP or anyone
else.  Disease as distinct from condition, as we think of CP, because
the longer undiagnosed and treated the more likely the destruction to
nerves and bone.

I infer Cervical Myelopathy the more likely to occur with CP given the
wear and tear we put on our central nervous system, bones, joints, and
muscle groups.  Without a statistical base my position is anecdotal,
based on personal experience and observation of other people with CP.
and inferential.

CP Stealth Disease because its hidden and sneaky.  Mimics CP and takes a
long  time to detect.  Doctors tend to treat the symptoms first.  Only
over time, when patients don't improve or worsen, do they usually start
looking "inside" behind the orthopaedic alone to the neurological.

ISM