C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:21:46 -0500
Hello group, I hope all is well.  I am just curious have you any of you had
any experience in travelingto Vienna?

I am schuledulled to be going to Vienna with study abroad of the University
of Illinois  on Sunday.  I think I may have trouble with curve cuts in
Vienna and do not know who to ask.  When I first told disability services of
my of thoughts of doing study abroad over winter break I made it a point to
forward all my emails to both the study abroad services and disability
services.  I think study abroad thought disability services were helping me
and disability services thought study abroad were helping me.  As it turns
out I was the only one getting information.

My major concerns involve the youth hostile I am staying at:  I will be
staying at a separate youth hostile from the rest of the group.  So, I will
have to be getting myself to and from class.  The problem I am most
concerned of are as I stated above not finding curve cuts.  I do not think I
can jump curves and also have a wilily bar on the back.  Add to that the
possible snow and ice and you see the problem I am facing.

Also, how is the accessible public transportation in Vienna?  Also, the
youth hostel I am staying at has 2--6 beds in each room.  I can dress myself
but lets put it this way I crawl around to dress myself I do not know how
complete strangers will react.  Have any of you had any experience with
these issues?

I have thought of not going many times but if I go I will be the first
person in a wheelchair to complete study abroad at the University of
Illinois.  I guess you could say there a lot of pressure on me to go.  A lot
of friends in wheelchair at the University keep asking me how's Vienna
working out.  I really want to go to Vienna   But at the same time I don't
want to go and be completly helpless in Vienna.

I was born in Germany and know the language.  So that should not be a
problem.  I thought if I got into trouble I could contact my family in
Europe but a lot of them are old and some have not been as helpful then I
had hoped.

Thanks for any information!

Jan

Then, I look at other people and realize my life is not half bad...