C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joy Welan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 22:42:03 -0400
Linda and everyone else,

Can I ask how you found your OB-GYN?  I don't mean to gross out the guys on
the list, but I just went for my first pelvic exam and pap smear this past
winter, and it was an extremely painful and unpleasant experience.  The
gynecologist I went to had no idea how to handle the spasticity and lack of
range of motion in my legs.  I had a really hard time getting up on the
table, and I just couldn't get in the right position, since it's really
painful for me to move my legs away from the midline of my body.  I don't
think I got a thorough exam, and it's not an experience I'm looking forward
to repeating, but I know it's important, especially since cervical and
ovarian cancer run in my family.  Is there some sort of resource that helps
people find doctors who are knowledgeable about dealing with people with
disabilities?  For most things I can go to a "normal" doctor, but this just
didn't work out.  Any tips would be much appreciated.

~Joy~