C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Feb 2000 11:14:38 EST
This may be off topic, but this is one of our problems that has to be
addressed too in order for us as disabled people to be seen as sexual beings.

The only time that disabled people ever get any airtime on TV is when someone
wants to make a sympathy commercial about the disabled.  Telethons portray us
as being helpless tragic victims who will never make it our own without
financial support.  The real tragedy is those who are mildly disabled, are
told they are helpless over their childhood and when their parents die, they
will never be able to truly function on their own.  The time of the sympathy
based description of the disabled is over.  Congress is slowly getting the
message.  It's time the rest of the country is brought up to date.  Too many
people with disabilities who can make it in the world are being forced into
silence by companies who want to make money off of the disabled by saying
that disabled are helpless.  We need to become a rallying cry to end this
cycle of emotional abuse. That is exactly what this is.  Disabled people told
that they are helpless and will never do anything for themselves.

I remember this line from a movie, and this fits our situation.  "We will not
go quietly into the night.  We will not vanish without a fight.  We're going
to live on. We're going to survive.  Today we celebrate our Independence Day!"
  'Independence Day' (1996 20th Century Fox)

If disabled people ever are going to make a difference, the media is a
primary target.  There are cable stations for African Americans, women,
children, Spanish/Latin people, and cable stations for the religious, but
where are the stations for the disabled??  They are out there, but rarely
given the chance ever to be shown.  This is another thing that needs to be
changed.  It it time that everyone with a disability who wants something more
out of life, let your presence be known.  Never give up, never surrender to
the prejudices of abled bodied people.

Michael Jeffries
ICQ#53522767
http://profiles.yahoo.com/mjeff25916