C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:17:49 -0400
Handwriting is more than just in the hands.  It's a favorite of ours.  Have
your son tested by a developmental optometrist for visual issues, most
people with CP have undiagnosed visual processing issues that might be
helped by vision therapy.  This type of work up is different than regular
optometrists.
Also, work on building up the muscles in the hands, at 6 even typically
developing kids are just learning how to write.  Get wind ups, do mazes,
flick pennies, count pennies and other coins by putting them into piggy
banks, invest in starter chop sticks (zoo sticks/ fish sticks) and eat meals
or pick up cereal with them (or candy), pick up weird objects with them, get
some accordian tubes to pull and put things into and make roller coasters
from, do puzzles on the floor.
How's his scissor skills?  Play do skills?  Ok, I'll be the heretic also,
let the handwriting be done at school honestly poor pracice isn't going to
make for better practice.  A lot of handwriting is also done by
understanding the size and shape of the objects, rhythym, language and
communication skills, etc.
Not having done testing on your son, I can't say what the exact difficulties
he may be having.

Beth T. the OT