C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Russ White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 May 2000 17:11:34 EDT
In a message dated 05/01/00 11:21:31 Pacific Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]
writes:

<< Another good
 questions is most ataxians eyes skip and jump instead of smoothrolling and it
 make reading and focussing dificult, it's called nystagmus I think.  Anyone
 have any treatment ideas?  Not so much drug ideas but more like sensible old
 wives tails?
 What about ballance?  Anyideas there?  NAC can have another advantage there
 along with vit E.  I really would like us al to share ideas. >>

Hi Russ,

     I'm not an 'ataxian' but here are some simple things you might try.  For
eye tracking there's an exercise called "Lazy 8's" which involves tracking
the eyes along a sideways 8, or 'infinity sign' pattern.  You can use your
thumb as a focal point or draw the pattern on a wall board to start with and
then refine it to a piece of paper on your desk.  Start with the large (gross
motor) movement and move toward the smaller (fine motor) movement with the
Lazy 8.
     Another exercise to enhance balance is called "the Elephant."  It
involves the same Lazy 8 pattern except that we use our whole arm as the
tracking 'instrument' and hold our same-sided ear to the shoulder of the
lifted arm.  Now track the 'Lazy 8' pattern with your ear held to your
shoulder and when you come to the lower parts of the 8 pattern, bend your
knees as you follow the track of the Lazy 8.  Do this 5 or 6 times with one
arm and then shift to the other arm in the same pattern.
     Both of these exercises are from a program of the Educational
Kinesiology foundation called "Brain Gym(R)."  I can give you more
information on the program or you can visit the website at www.braingym.org.
     Good luck!

Greg Nicholson

Russ White
Orlando, FL
 <A HREF="http://www.onelist.com/group/GeneticDisabilitiesUnite">ONElist :
GeneticDisabilitiesUnite</A>
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/rwtw128/mypage.html">My Autobiography</A>
"Do not suppose that, if you find something hard to achieve, it is beyond
human capacity; rather, if something is possible and appropriate for man,
assume that it must also be within your own reach." - Marcus Aurelius, _The
Meditations_