C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Paulsen & Company, Inc." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jul 2000 00:05:06 -0400
** To : Lori - Thank for ROLLN at jam , sorry I missed sayn bye........ I
Call you on Sat.
mid -afternoon or so.....
++ To : Vivan - sorry I didn't get your e-mail in time, it was last night
in St Paul RYANS BAR - it was cool.....

DP/dp/12:03am

Sender: [log in to unmask]
From: Ann Roscoe, NewWays <[log in to unmask]>

[Fwd: Excerpt from UCPA Washington Watch: Constitutionality Issue
&Proposed Legislation for Citizenship/People with Disabilities]

> Robin Jones wrote:
> >
> > The following excerpt is taken from the Washington Watch, Vol. 6, Issue
7
> > regarding the Constitutionality Challenge to the ADA and Proposed
> > legislation regarding citizenship and people with disabilities.  They
are
> > forwarded to you for your information:
> >
> > "Only 6 States Sign On Anti-ADA Brief in Garrett v. University of
Alabama

> > Only six states (Arkansas, Idaho, Nebraska, Nevada, Ohio and Tennessee)
> > signed on to Hawaii's anti-ADA brief in Garrett v. University of
Alabama.
> > Garrett is the Supreme Court case challenging the constitutionality of
the
> > ADA.  At issue in the case is whether Congress had the constitutional
> > authority under the Fourteenth Amendment to enact the ADA.  If the Court
> > says Congress did not, individuals may no longer be able to enforce
Titles
> > I and II of the ADA against the states.  Further, a negative ruling
could
> > call into question altogether the constitutionality of Title II, as well
as
> > other disability rights statutes.  Oral arguments will likely occur in
> > October and a decision will be issued in early 2001.
> >
> > Now the challenge is to make sure that twice as many states sign on to
the
> > Minnesota pro-ADA brief.  There is only about one month left to
accomplish
> > this feat.  If you have not already contacted your attorney general
and/or
> > governor's office, please do so as soon as possible.  If you have
already
> > made initial contact, please keep the pressure on."
> >
> > "Proposed Legislation to Waive Citizenship Oath of Allegiance for
> > Individuals with Severe Disabilities
> >
> > Legislation will be introduced on Thursday, July 13 by Senators
Feinstein
> > and Hatch that will give the Attorney General the authority to waive the
> > oath of allegiance for people with disabilities whose disability
prevents
> > them from taking the oath to become an American citizen.  These people
are
> > individuals who are otherwise qualified to become  American citizens.
> >
> > This legislation is a by-product of the Vijai Rajan case in California.
> > Ms. Rajan is a twenty-four year old permanent resident from India whose
> > naturalization application was denied because of cerebral palsy,
muscular dystrophy, seizures and Crohn's disease that prevent her from
taking the oath of allegiance.  Ms. Rajan has lived in the United States
since she was four months old.  Her father became a naturalized citizen in
1980.  But
her mother was not naturalized until after Vijai's 18th birthday.  If both
> > parents had become citizens before Vijai turned 18, she would have
> > automatically qualified for citizenship.

Unfortunately, due to the peculiar circumstance, the law requires the
Ms. Rajan undergo the regular naturalization process, including the
requirement to take the oath of allegiance.  Senator Feinstein announced
that this
legislation "will give the Attorney General authority to act on
compelling cases such as this without having to resort to a private act of
Congress.""

Washington Watch is a publication of the United Cerebral Palsy
Association (UCPA) and published regularly while Congress is in session.
Information regarding subscription can be obtained by contacting:

> > United Cerebral Palsy Associations
> > 1660 L Street,  N.W., Suite 700, Washington, DC 20036
> > Phone: 1-800-USA-5UCP (1-800-872-5827), Fax: 202-776-0414
> > E-mail: [log in to unmask]

======================

Darrell Paulsen, Founder/CEO
Paulsen & Company, Inc.  Email us : MAILTO:[log in to unmask]
804 4th Street So.
South St. Paul, Minnesota 55075
(651) 455-3013 TDD (651) 554-3200

Surf out What's NEW on our Products Page
http://www.winternet.com/~disabled/product.html

And, don't forget to tell your friends and co-workers about
iGive and your favorite cause.  It's the easiest way to raise money!
Just have them go to http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?cid=6653

(c)1996-2000 All material on this site is copyright protected.
Revised by : Ray Manning 3rd of Paulsen & Company.
This message posted by Paulsen and Co a non-profit disability awareness
organization.  For more information about us please check out our
website at:   http://www.winternet.com/~disabled/  [The Opinions And
Views Discussed Above Are Those Of The Writers, And Not Necessarily
Supported By The Groups Or Organizations Mention Above.]

Our postings are meant for informational purposes only. Individuals or
organizations wishing to be removed may request by submitting an EMail. We
honor all removal requests, due to a large list(s) and third party contacts
we ask for a ten business day policy. This allows for verification and the
removal from our multiple lists that  Paulsen and Company
and/or members of said lists manage, subscribe to, or otherwise maintain.

     DISABLED & VOTES !!! DISABLED & VOTES !!! DISABLED & VOTES !!!